April is Autism Awareness Month and to be honest I would not care if I wasn't personally touched by someone with Autism. When Pieter was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder I didn't know anything other than a very outdated idea on what Autism was. A majority of the world still share this view. They tend to picture a very low functioning autistic person that sits in a corner and bangs their head on the wall while rocking back and forth. So when I've mentioned Pieter falling within the spectrum people have scoffed and rolled their eyes disbelievingly. Because I have struggled with the diagnosis I have educated myself on the condition. I feel so much compassion for people who experience any version of autism, low and high functioning.
There is so much that we don't know about Autism and what was true 10 years ago has already changed. It evolves each year with new studies and new people getting involved. I don't believe that only one thing triggers autism. Genetics and environment affect each case. Likewise each case is unique. If anything I only wish for people to open their eyes and admit that they don't know and don't understand. Do some research of their own. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Show some compassion for these children. And above all, use the spirit. We are so blessed to live in a time with amazing medical advances and new information, this coupled with revelation can enlighten our minds dramatically.
Following is a link to a CNN clip with Larry King interviewing Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carrey and some medical professionals. I appreciate this interview and the views expressed. It doesn't resemble the common publicity given to autism.
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2009/04/04/lkl.jim.jenny.autism.pt1.cnn
I can't wait to have my original Pieter back. He has come a long way, but we're still on the up hill journey. I'm grateful for my experiences, I'm more understanding and less judgemental because of them. I pray that we can help others affected by autism by being kind and understanding.




0 comments:
Post a Comment